Everybody that knew me as a teenager knows I was super-obsessed with boy bands. My room was filled with posters of every band, I taped every video and interview on my VCR (Remember those days?) and basically drove people crazy singing and playing their music. (Confession time: I am still obsessed and still listen to this day!)
When I got the opportunity to talk to O-Town, (Dan Miller, Jacob Underwood, Trevor Penick and Erik-Michael Estrata) it was a dream come true. Not only did I feel like I was sixteen again, but I became an even bigger fan of the band. We talked about everything from their new album Lines and Circles to Fantasy Football to O-Town In Space. (Yes, we even made the Lost In Space reference!) Below are some of the highlights from our chat.
1. As many people know, O-Town got their start on the ABC/MTV series Making The Band. Although their paths onto the show were very different, they each look back on the experience fondly and appreciate the fact that they had the opportunity to come together and join the boy band scene.
They also appreciate the fact that they are still remembered for their early music. They consider All Or Nothing to be their most memorable song and love the fact that it is still being played on the radio today.
2. The band also loves the fact that they not only still have many of their original fans, but that they also have a new generation of fans. They all agree that they love it when fans come up to them and talk about how they not only enjoyed their music when they were younger, but that they also have daughters who love them as well.
3. O-Town is preparing for their first tour in twelve years. (Yes, I am seeing them with my best friend in November and I could not be more excited!) While they plan on playing music from Lines and Circles, they also plan to play some of their earlier hits as well.
In addition, fans can expect to have the band interact with them during the shows. I do not want to give too much away, but anyone who will be at the show will be in for a real treat.
4. Their new album Lines and Circles is a bit different from the music they released in the past. O-Town promises us that this time around we can expect music that is perfect for dancing and the clubs. (or in my case, teaching fitness classes! I promised to use some of their tunes when I start teaching.) From what I have heard, it is a more grown up sound, but still the same O-Town we all grew up with and love!
5. They are into Fantasy Football. In fact, they all offered to help me play and give me advice on the game. (Which I am still trying to understand! ) They all have their picks ready and are looking forward to football season.
However, the best part about discussing sports and Fantasy Football wasn’t the actual topic, but the bantering and friendship between the guys. It was obvious that they not only love working together, but they truly have a special bond and love each other as friends and (as far as I can tell) brothers. It is rare to see four people who work together have such a deep, genuine bond, but seeing the way these guys interact made me like them even more.
Thank you to O-Town and their team for this interview and be sure to check back for more news. Be sure to also buy their new album Lines and Circles on their site or iTunes.